Thread: PLEASE STOP!!!
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2001, 06:40 PM   #42
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
Saz...I agree with you, this is not debate in the traditional sense. We're not talking about an abstract topic, researching it, taking a pro or con stance. What we're debating is opinion, something that is, by defenition, intensely personal. And how can you debate something so very personal without debating the person. You can still debate the idea as well, but to effectively debate someones opinion you have to get personal to at least an extent. Unfortunately, that extent seems to be getting further and further. And I am one of the guilty lately. I wont make excuses, but I will try to lighten up and examine what I'm saying before i say it.
I do understand your point, now, Nachtrafe, and thanks for clarifying that. I've never formally studied debate, so I missed that completely. Of course, one would have to go at it from a psychological perspective.

It's not you, Nachtrafe, as it is a tone and a mood that has settled over IW...it's affecting everyone. I'm afraid it's far from over, either, from what I've seen here today. But lightening up and keeping a sense of humor is always a good point, even in debate.

Quote:

And yes, darn it, I do have to be right. Isn't that sort of human nature??
Absolutely it is. Just remember to respect other's rights to be "right" as well. That's all!

------------------