View Single Post
Old 11-05-2001, 09:03 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Addicks Stun Hapless Gunners

Charlton pulled off an astonishing 4-2 win at Highbury - their first since 1955 - to stop Arsenal climbing to second place in the Premiership on Sunday. The Addicks netted four times in just 18 minutes either side of the break to shock Arsene Wenger's superstars.

Some might say this serves him right for trying to sabotage French football, but personally I think he's actually on Australia's side. He wants them to beat France, you see.

Fergie - Reds are the major threat

Alex Ferguson has paid tribute to Liverpool, admitting that The Reds are the major threat to Manchester United's dominance in England.
Liverpool's 3-1 win extended their winning streak over their rivals to four games, a record not bettered since 1910, and prompted Ferguson to admit that Liverpool worked harder and deserved the three points on the day.

"Liverpool wanted it much more than Manchester United today," he said. "They're where we were four years ago and until we address that situation then we'll get results like today. On the day we got what we deserved and Liverpool were the better team.

"I thought their third was the killer because for the first time in the match they were starting the think about the game, but this third goal allowed them the cushion to sit back and wait for us again, and they're very good at that," he admitted.

Ferguson also admitted that he had not expected Sami Hyypia to be fit for Liverpool: "I was surprised that Sami Hyypia was fit after damaging his hamstring 11 days ago, and I thought that maybe we'd have the opportunity to get at them. That was one of the reasons for the system I chose, but it wouldn't have mattered what system I'd played."

However, Ferguson saved the greatest praise for his arch-rivals until last: "Liverpool will hunt the ball and play with hunger and I think that's a great foundation for success. I think anyone can now see that Liverpool will be the big threat to everyone.

"It's always quality that wins games of football."

Go the mighty Reds! Man U are going DOWN!! What a joke Barthez is!

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: Memnoch ]