View Single Post
Old 08-25-2003, 03:42 PM   #1
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

After my countless SoA/ToB games, starting over as many as 20 times in a row, searching for an interesting character to play, I chose one-an Elven F/T. The game was excellent, better than any I've ever played before, until I happened to stumble out of the Underdark. After the conversation with the Elves, I saved the game and left for a few hours.

When I returned, and tried to load the game, it wouldn't work. Nothing I tried helped-even reinstalling the game. Whenever I tried to load it, I got an error message. So, I had to start over.

Sigh.

I didn't get any enjoyment out of the games following the F/T. I had seen all of this before, I knew where all the traps and dangerous enemies were, how to obtain the best equipment. I just couldn't have fun with BGII anymore. I completed the game a few times, with different characters, but it was more akin to listening to my parents give me an old arguement for the -nth time than to enjoying one of the masterpieces of the gaming world. I needed something new. A few days after my birthday, this year (Aug.5), I purchased my own copy of BGI.

Ah, bliss.

I can't relate how much I'm enjoying my game-a solo Fighter (I know that I shouldn't solo for the first game, but the characters move so slowly when compared to BGII. I couldn't resist). The glee I feel when finding a +2 (!) weapon, the thrill of entering a maze, the surprise when a hidden trap takesa away a quarter of my health. This is what I want from a game. If only I could erase any knowledge I have of BGII from my memory...I'd be able to enjoy it as much as I enjoy it's predecessor.

I don't really know the point I'm trying to make. I've been feeling this for some time, and I needed to share it...maybe I'm not the only one.

Fin

-Just realized this: this is also a message to the people who immediately buy the walkthrough to a game, or as soon as they are challenged, post numerous questions on this board as to the solution. Don't. You'll see that you obtain much more satisfaction when you overcome a difficult enemy (say, your first dragon/lich) than a walkthrough could ever give you.

-Sorry about the rant, I was just thinking of it, and the only way to stop was to write this. It's impossible to make your mind stop thinking about a topic that it's interested in unless there's an even more interesting topic, anyway.

-Opinions would be welcome.

-Dundee: If this belongs on the General Discussion forum, feel free to move it there.

ADD-If 666 is the sign of the Beast, and 777 is lucky, what is 888?

[ 08-25-2003, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Pyrenk ]