View Single Post
Old 02-08-2005, 08:50 PM   #46
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by spydar:
we're a weird lot, many of our *ahem* physical traits would suggest a polygamous species, and yet our behaviour (for the most part) reflects a monogamous mating strategy.
Which suggests that monogamy is purely a cultural construct designed to limit and control reproduction in such a way as to enable lineage 'property rights'. You take a pretty skewed perception of 'our behaviour'. Who do you mean by 'we'?

Personally I take the 'monogamy is inherently more fulfilling' line of thinking to be a steaming pile of horses**t. It only feels 'more fulfilling' to some people because they have been trained to think that way. Everywhere you look in Western consumer culture you see 'romantic' monogamous love-stories, relationship 'tip' magazines, nuclear families in insulated household settings.... or at least that is the abstract ideal being normalised and crammed down people's throats. If your wants and desires don't coincide with artificial social norms then of course you're going to feel internally unsettled and pressured to conform to the illusions of what is 'normal' or 'natural' in human relationships.

It's just a herd mindset. 'Do as everyone else does and you can sleep easy at night knowing that you fit in among your peers'. Bah! I spit on that state of mind! (oooh, that was a bit emo... a bit 'angsty'... I've gotta watch that...)

Monogamy isn't natural, no social interaction is. Once you dispel the illusions inherent in the pressure to socially conform then you start to realise just how much of the way the world works is purely inside your head. Do what you want, for your own reasons, and don't feel bad for doing so.