View Single Post
Old 09-10-2002, 03:38 PM   #1
Moni

And now I have to pay for it by doing research on smoking during pregnancy.

I defended one side of the argument in my Developmental Psychology class today by stating that I smoked throughout my pregnancy, unable to quit without becoming violently ill (which is the truth) and although I was threatened with the possibility of a premature delivery or a low-birth-weight baby, I carried my son full term and he was over 7 & 1/2 pounds at birth (I am 5'4" and 98 lbs...same height and 129 lbs the day I gave birth).

Sooooo, in order to find out how much has changed in the medical field regarding smoking during pregnancy, I was instructed to bring in current research (with no promise of extra credit lol). I am still not sure if I think the instructor was out of line but I do think its cool that he wants the rest of the class to know how standards may have changed in 21 years.

In the U.S. they haven't.
Canada offers some threat of cancer in babies but lacks any medical proof to back it up.
The U.K. adds that it is associated with learning disabilities and developmental disorders but also lacks evidence to back it up.

Apparently I am one of the "lucky few" that haven't suffered from the effects on babies by a smoking mother as my son was carried full term, he was of an average weight for newborns, he has never had any kinds of cancer and he was involved with the Gifted and Talented Education Programs throughout High School. Programs you just don't get in to if you suffer from learning disabilities or developmental disorders.

I've got all the info for him come Thursday. I expect points for this LOL.