View Single Post
Old 10-29-2002, 07:22 PM   #70
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

LOL, sent you an e-mail. Worked on this off and on all day, so here is some more.

The lesson then started. Galadria was in the midst of describing how to determine the intentions of planar creatures when they were summoned, when a knock came to the door. Uriel, for once actually interested in the lecture, gave the door an annoyed look as Sefa ran to answer it. Her resentment turned to joy at the sight of a well-known mop of red hair, and she ran to her mother to be fondly embraced. "Mommy," she cried, "did you bring me anything?"
Noemi, who had gone to the market for supplies, smiled as she hugged the beautiful little girl. "Yes I did, poppet," she answered fondly, "but not until the lesson is over." She turned to her sister, "Gal, there's someone here to see you. Somebody you're not going to like seeing. Shall I put him in the front room?" That was where they interviewed visitors of doubtful intentions, being heavily warded and trapped.
The dark mage frowned. "First, Em," she growled, "tell me who it is."
"Well," the little redhead replied, "not to put too fine a point on it, it's Amoret."
Galadria was surprised. "Amoret?" she said puzzledly, "I told him never to come around me again. What ever would he want?"
Grimacing, Noemi whispered. "He says that he has news. About Uriel, though he didn't call her by name. He saw me in the marketplace before I saw him, and he sneaked up behind me and tapped me on the shoulder. I must have jumped ten feet. I told him that he better have what you'd consider significant information, or start gettting used to eating bugs every meal."
"Well," Galadria said with resignation, "I'm certainly not afraid of him. Put him in the front room, though, because I don't want him to get the impression that he's welcome here. He's lucky that Attalus isn't home. Don't tell Cho, either, until he is gone."
Amoret was a man who had traveled with them for a short time, earning their emnity when he had tried to force himself on Galadria. Chorania had caught him pinning her arms, so that she could not get a spell off while undressing her. She had exploded into the little clearing, striking him unconscious with her mace while calling him everything that an extensive vocabulary of drow curses contained. When he had come back around, it was with the tip of Attalus' sword Corhydras at his throat. The big man had with difficulty been prevented from hanging him from the nearest tree. He had been told in no uncertain terms what it would mean if he was ever caught around her again, and she wondered why he would take such a risk.
After a suitable interval, more to make him realise how unimportant she regarded his visit and information than anything, she went through the heavy door into the front room, pausing first automatically to renew the wards that prevented any magic but hers from operating. As she swept unsmiling into the room, she saw at once how little the man had changed. Handsome in a rather greasy fashion, he still smiled in the irritating way that he had, the main impression left on her being how irresistible he thought himself to be. She stifled her annoyance. If he indeed had information, she wanted it.
"My lady!" the man said fervently. "How beautiful you look today. I had almost forgotten how lovely you are" He dropped onto one knee and siezed her hand, as in attempt to kiss it. He was at once startled by a blue flash and electrical crackle, and grimaced as he shook his burned hand.
Galadria smiled in a satisfied way. "Be careful, Amoret," she laughed. "Do not try to touch me, or it will be the worse for you. You will also find that your sword and dagger, as well as that poigniard that you have in your left boot, are stuck in their scabbards. Now, what is this information that Noemi says that you told her of, so important that you risk coming across Attalus and Chorania, both of whom are sworn to kill you if they ever lay eyes on you again?".
Hurriedly, the man got to his feet. "Plots, conspiricies!" he said mysteriously, assuming a wise expression. "I heard of one that concerned you and yours, so I hurried to Baldur's Gate and your house, hoping that your well-known mercy would allow you to hear me out before you killed me in some spectacular fashion."
Galadria slumped resignedly into a chair. "All right, Amoret," she said tiredly, "I'll grant you that it took more courage than I thought that you possessed to come here and beard me in my den like this. Why would you tell me of this, since I have made no pretence of not despising you for what you tried to do to me?"
He took on an injured attitude. "My Lady, it was partially in hopes of setting myself in the right with you that I came. I wish that you, and your friends, could see that little incident as ill-advised passion and misunderstandings instead of...er...forcible..." he trailed off and was interrupted by the mage.
"Stow it, Amoret," she snapped. "You tried to rape me and you know it. But, thank Tres and Chorania, you didn't succeed, or we would not be having this conversation. So, you want me to call off Attalus and Chorania? Maybe, if what information you bring is true and valuable. Knowing you, I expect that you will want some money, too. Well, I'll listen to a reasonable request. But, I'll hear the information, first, though I do pledge that if I don't think that it useful, I shall let you leave unharmed. Is that fair?"
Amoret beamed. "It's certain that rumor does not lie about your generosity and mercy, my lady. Glad I am that I did not succeed in my little...er, fit of passion. Yes, some money, perhaps a thousand gold? would repay me for the risks and dangers that I went through to bring you word of this. I will confess that my heart was in my mouth, rather, while I awaited you in this place."
Galadria made a beckoning movement with her hand. "Information, Amoret," she snarled. "I have not either the time or inclination to listen to a description of your nervous qualms. If I had turned you into a jelly, it would have served you right, for I am quite sure that I was not the only one, before or since, that you have used those tactics on. Let me hear some sense out of you."
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote