View Single Post
Old 04-29-2001, 12:17 PM   #16
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Well, I will say that after having read both threads through (and the Ladies' Guild thread as well) that I found nothing overtly inflammatory on the "Testasterone thread" or the "Ladies Guild thread". What I did find is a lot of rather sophomoric behavior. (Sorry, my opinion). And, you're right, the Testasterone thread has degenerated (or risen, I should say?) into rugby-talk, which, since I'm in a country that doesn't follow rugby matches, I am not at all interested in.

LadyRae, I am deeply sorry that your feelings were hurt, and I do hope you choose to remain here. The Moon's Hope Inn is your baby, after all, and one of the most popular threads here in GD.

On the Ladies Guild (or Men's Guild, or Kid's Guild, or Old Hippies with Long Beards Still Into Gaming guild)...I'm not sure what this is all about. We're a community here, all. Every one of us. Such guilds do no more than divide us. Just for curiosity, what are the goals of the Ladies' Guild? What do you hope to accomplish by having a guild that no men may join or post to? If there is a legitimate reason, that's fine, but what I see in it is nothing more than someone drawing a line in the dirt and saying, "I dast ye to cross it! No boyz (girlz, kiddz, old hippiez) allowed!" I'd truly hate to see all of us breaking up into such groups. And then we wonder why flaming occurs?

In the workforce, I believe such specialty organizations are necessary. The Women's Business Leaders Association, along with various ethnic business leaders associations, have long existed to help members of minority groups gain a foothold in an enterprise world that is stacked against them. I am in full support of all such organizations.

But I have seen no "squelching" of anyone on this board by the nature of race, gender, creed, or other type...other than a preponderance of "BG" threads. Should I start a guild of "Non Baldur's Gate players...no BG player may join?" See how ridiculous it is? This is a FUN place. In Cyberspace, where race, gender, creed, etc. are supposed to be invisible and non-binding.

But what do I know. I'm just a jaded old male gaming hippie.

Just my opinion.