View Single Post
Old 02-14-2004, 02:51 AM   #9
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Tancred:
Gamewise I felt it lacked something compared to WC3 and even Prophecy, but in terms of storytelling and plot it was excellent. Better than the Star Wars films. Light years ahead of the Wing Commander movie. In fact, I think WCIV had a bigger budget in terms of special effects and actors... I mean, Freddie Prinze jr. and Matthew Lillard?!? Ohhhhhh dear.

I don't know why, but for some reason you need a *natural* DOS environment to run the WC games. I had to write a custom config.sys and autoexec.bat to run while I was using Win95. You just can't do that in XP, it seems, or if you can, I haven't figured it out. Anyone got any ideas? I remember I once found on the internet a rewritten .exe file for running Frontier: First Encounters on XP... I hope someone does the same for WC, despite it being completely illegal
Gameplay wise, WC IV is kind of short. But the great storyline and FMVs make it up for the shortcomings. I felt kind of sad when Tolwyn hung himself.

I think it has something to do with the engine the game was running on, which would require pure DOS environment.