View Single Post
Old 03-27-2003, 11:23 AM   #50
Thorfinn
Zhentarim Guard

Yes, I have. My first job out of HS was in a union shop, and when layoffs came 6 months later, the union was happy to give me the boot, despite (or possibly because of) my highest in the plant productivity scores, because I was low man on the totem pole. I took a job in a non-union shop, starting as grunt, working my way up through mid-level supervisor. I then went to college, then back into a factory as an engineer, and eventually plant manager. I currently own my own small company, and there are 4 people working for me. I'm assuming there was a point to your question?

And, no, if someone can force another either into a relationship, or to continue an existing relationship against his will, that is by definition a privilege. If a whole class of people has that privilege, it is a privileged class.

If the employer had the privilege of forcing you to work for him, or continue to work for him despite your having received a better offer elsewhere, you would see the oppression there. Why is it so hard to see if you reverse roles?

[ 03-27-2003, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Thorfinn ]