Thread: Great Stock Tip
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2002, 11:01 AM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
The bureaucracy that is our government is wasteful from the city level on up. I didn't imply the current spending was riddled with this type excess, I simply made a point. I believe defense spending needed to be increased, but I'd like it done "without the fat". Just as I'd like everything else our government does to be "low fat".

Now if politicians could learn hammer and toilet seat lesson applies to all aspects of government spending(pork barrel anyone?), and that defense isn't a "whipping boy"....
Amen, Ronn. Some folks (no names mentioned) hate government taxation for gluttonous spending but then go freakishly defensive when you mention military spending. My wife is in government work and I work closely with the government a lot. I must say that I have not seen it be business-world efficient on any one thing ever. It is especially frustrating to watch people get paid to shuffle my tax money from one place to another, making little difference, and losing all the dollars to waste along the way. The only grim consolation I find is that at least there are jobs created: someone has to do the useless shuffling, you know.

Any time the government touches money a percentage of it is wasted - let's just call it "shrinkage" of our national inventory. Unfortunately, someone has to take care of society's little externalities. If we didn't allocate money to buy public goods, they would never be procured.