View Single Post
Old 12-14-2004, 10:09 AM   #12
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

So, I'm you're daughter [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Seriously, my story exactly parallels hers: messy divorce, didn't know my dad until I was 16, suddenly had three younger siblings (who were 8, 5, and 4 at the time), all very unusual.

Most important thing to say, from the kid's perspective, is not to smother her. You can let it be known that you love her through what you do... doesn't have to be all awkward and touchy feely (which is EXACTLY what she'll be expecting, guarantee it).

Lady Sedai's fun park or whatever is good, but:
  • Contrived, and, (more importantly)
  • Juvenile
A girl who's almost 16 is practically in middle age. She'll be wanting plastic surgery soon The worst thing that you can do -- except in certain very special circumstances, which you'll have to feel out later -- is to treat her like a 10 year old. She is (or at least thinks she is, which is more important) an adult, and must be treated as one.

That said, the first time I saw my Dad & siblings for real, we went down to his basement, where he's still got the recreation room set up. We had the pool table, ping pong, comfy leather couches and big screen TV, kids toys in the corner where the two younger ones played while Dad, the 8 year old, and I played cards. All very cozy and friendly, yet not awkward or contrived. Though I definitely felt the center of attention, to some degree, it wasn't weird like it could've been.

If you have access to something like that -- something exceedingly normal and comfortable -- it'd be for the best.

Good luck, and (for her sake) take it easy! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]