View Single Post
Old 06-03-2002, 02:02 PM   #38
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
I'd allow that invasion into my mind, because I don't HAVE to be violent towards others and it WOULD allow me to defend myself against the chipless who would be the only ones that would be violent towards me. People hold freedom too highly, the freedom of being allowed to be violent towards others should be one that people would happily rid themselves of.
The ability to choose either good/right or evil/wrong is one of the things that make us human. Anyone who gives up the ability to choose violence becomes less than a dog, because even dogs have the ability to choose their actions.

Would you be happy being unable to choose violence? Even though I am not a violent person, I would still want to be able to choose it if I want to. I, for one, would not be happy to rid myself of that choice.

Go read "A Clockwork Orange" and The Gap Cycle by Stephen Donaldson to see the ramifications of not having free will.

Besides, violence and sex are linked in the brain structure of the human male; this is a neurological fact. If you remove the capacity for violence you might also take away the sex drive.

Just to be somewhat on-topic: no, the human race is not "doomed". Eventually we will all be gone, but the same can be said for the planet itself.

[ 06-03-2002, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Azred ]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.