View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 08:40 AM   #5
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Now see, here's the thing. Gasoline is extremely volatile. If it weren't the base line internal combustion engine wouldn't work. While diesel fuel is somewhat less volatile, it's not exactly tap water. We already drive around with smallish bombs under our "control". No matter what anyone may want to say about a hybrid, they are still main powered by an internal combustion engine burning gasoline. So, they are dirty, period. You might be doing a little bit to help the environment, but in the end, the vehichles still harm it. The idea here would be completely clean. What kind of fumes did you see coming off the flames, as I didn't notice any. Even if it proved to be impractical for automobile usage, it would still be a cleaner way to produce electricity than the cleanest coal plants. I can, however, see how it could be applied to automotive use, relatively easily as well. It would put the spark plug people out of business, as the technology became more affordable, but it's not that hard to implement. Judging by the video, it provides plenty of power, and if that power were to be placed into a small space, such as the combustion chamber of an engine, it would provide the necessary energy to turn the crankshaft, and make the engine go. From there, it's all mechanical anyway, so no need to change much in the way cars are designed.

I really don't see any downside, with the temps produced in the controlled experiment, there is plenty of energy potential, and it may even wind up being self supporting. Of course, it's so easy to say "that can't work". He had it working, and if that small engine had been hooked to a smallish generator, he'd have been producing the electricity needed to power the radio waves. I can't see how that can be a negative.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote