View Single Post
Old 01-09-2003, 10:03 AM   #16
realbinky
Elminster

Well, it's not parity you only need 1 chip for it to work. As that is what you HAD. Regular Phoenix BIOS upgrades will not help you, this is a special COMPAQ (Read piece of crap) BIOS. Go to the Compaq site and try and find the support/download pages for your model make and year. They should have for download the latest BIOS. The 2.10 in your BIOS line you posted is the version. I bet it's close to the latest for that board and model. PC133 is NOT automatically backwards compatible, especially in COMPAQs. In some cases it is, some not, and some depends on the board. If the board only runs at 100, it still has to handle 133 and slow it. Well made boards will, Compaq's will usually not. I hate Compaq's myself, and I recently worked at a IT cosultaning company and we upgraded 250 of em to Win2K and 256MB from Win95 and 64 or 128. We had plenty of these nightmares.

In closing, yes, make sure you try it ALONE, without the 100. In the BIOS there should be a page that tells how much memory is in the system. You can't change it, but it should tell you what it sees, so you can tell if it sees the right amount. Does it beep at all? If yes, there is a code in the number of short vs long beeps, if no...trying the chip in another PC is a good idea, I've had bad memory before, on the order on 1 in 150-200.