View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Worried Re: The Special Effects in "I am number four"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_OHF View Post
I've been wanting to share my thoughts on the special effects of "I am number four", particularly with the powers that number six has. Now, before I get into it, I am completlely aware that the movie does not follow the book well. I read that the director has never even read the whole book, and filming began before the book was even released or something.

Anyway, I wanted to talk about Hollywood's great effects of phasing, teleporting or displacement. I don't know which is most accurate. The first time I ever remember seeing it was with Nighcrawler on X-Men 2, at the beginning when he attacked the president in the White House. Wiki describes his powers as teleportation. He disappears in a puff of smoke only to appear elsewhere nearly instantaneously. I loved those effects and how smooth the battle went, and how deadly he appeared as a one-man army! Somewhere along the line I started calling that ability phasing or displacement...such as a displacer beast might do in D&D.

When I saw that power again on "I am number four", I was mesmerized. The way #6 used that power to fight was great...but when she combined that fight-style and fought in partnership with #4, it blew me away. I don't want to offer up any spoilers, but at the end when she used it help #4, and then used her other ability to shield...that fight scene alone made the movie.

I know I am a visual junkie. Does anyone share my feelings on the subject ?
In D&D terms I'd say Nightcrawlers' ability would be classed as "blinking". Short range repetetive teleports. As for the movie, I am # 4, I ain't seen it yet although have heard good things.