View Single Post
Old 03-27-2004, 05:02 PM   #6
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
You mean he's NOT going to Athens now ? [img]graemlins/jawdrop.gif[/img] Well, i guess there's noone standing in Pieter's way to get some more gold medals now.
He can still qualify for the other events he's contesting - the 100, 200, 200IM I think, and the relays. So unless Pieter's moved to the 400 he's still in trouble

It is really sad, and I can't imagine how disappointed Ian's feeling. I've never been a huge Ian fan but I really really empathise with how he's feeling right now. Not just disappointed but totally embarrassed as well I guess. In the first instance, it does seem silly that there are no room for exceptions for world record holders, world champions etc, for freak occurances like this. On the other hand, how can we decide who gets special consideration and who doesn't? What if for instance, Matt Welsh broke in the 100 backstroke heats (he's done it before) - he's our best but he's not world record holder - should he get an exception too? What about if you just have an off night? I think it's also important to consider Craig Stevens who has qualified in the absence of Ian Thorpe - he did it fair and square and in a reasonable time - now his credentials will be questioned and his place on the team sullied by this. All swimmers know the rules - one chance and that's it. It's tough, unlike athletics where they have multiple opportunities to achieve the A qualifying time, but they know what to expect and to say, oh well we'll just give this person another shot, does seem unfair at least in some respects. The rule of one false start and you're out is a long and accepted one as well. I think there would be some disquiet if we were to give Ian another shot just as there is now we haven't. It's a tough situation.

Also, AFAIK he didn't have trouble because the starter held them too long; having seen the incident he'd just called them to get on their mark when Ian slipped, and I've heard no suggestion otherwise. Just an unfortunate slipup by Ian.