Thread: Spiders!! Help!
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2004, 11:11 PM   #9
Lady Sedai
Banned User

First, let me say that I can understand that you are arachnophobic.

However, I want to also stress for you that *most* spiders will not hurt people so long as you don't try to handle them.

Those red/black ones you described are garden spiders. I notice them mostly this time of year through the fall. Their webs *can* freak you out, LOL, but they are mostly nocturnal and "rest" during the day and are only interested in insects.

If you "train" yourself out of your fear, you'd even find their web building fascinating. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now the big ones in the house...I'm not sure if you are describing a version of the 'grandaddy' or 'cave spider' types (long, thin legs with a longish rectangularish body) or the hairy spiders we know "affectionately" as Wolf Spiders. The American version of the tarantula. Now these are mildly venomous but shy spiders, so you'd have to go after one and pick it up to get it to bite you.

But I've RARELY had one pop up inside my home.

Can you take a pic and post it up? I could tell better what you've got there if I could see it.

Either way, the reason you are probably seeing more of them this season is all the rain and basically cooler temps we've had this last month or so. More food (insects) means bigger beasties and more rain can sometimes run them inside.

I didn't read all of the responses thus far, but I saw the idea of mothballs...good one for spider (and other bug) repellent. Also Borax is good. And lime (the mineral, NOT the fruit, LOL! [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).