View Single Post
Old 06-09-2004, 09:39 PM   #12
Dang
The Magister

Whoa--been performing a little damage control in my apartment. It's raining hard here in Austin and has been flooding through the back wall. Not too bad, as far as flooding goes, and we got a wet vac to keep things under control.

Anyway, Wyvern, yes I am talking about CRPGS. I haven't played a shooter in years (the last one I actually owned was Doom II--that probably has something to do with my inability to perform jumps and the like very well), and after a several year computerless hiatus (the horror!), I've only had a computer for about a year now. Apart from some older, 90's games, I've played a real-time strategy called majesty and another (with a slice of RPG) superhero called Freedom Force. The RPGs I've played since then have been Wizardry 8, Ultima Ascension, and W&W, and in all three cases there have been statements that the game was rushed to market. Wizardry 8, like W&W, seems pretty whole, but there are obviously things that seem like they were truncated. Ultima Ascension--well, I imagine that it would still be in the workshop if Lord B has his way. Unlike many Ultima fans, I did enjoy it, and I felt like the story was pretty intact, if not the series-sweeping epic that had been promised for so many years.

But, yeah, it does seem like all the CRPGs I've played lately have said they were rushed. Of course, as far as I know the old-timey ones were rushed, too, but I just never heard about it.

One RPG that I did feel was pretty solid was Fallout 2, but that subject matter is certainly not for everybody, and it's not a Fantasy RPG, of course.

"Without any doubt it is the best flawed game I ever played and it's also a lot better than many games that were fully developed as planned."

That is true! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Dang is offline   Reply With Quote