pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
Originally posted by Aragorn1:
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Ministers/Secretaries are only selected from elected representatives available.
This strictly isn't Westminister government, our PM can appoint anyone he wants to the cabinet, decide how many ministers he wants etc. [/QUOTE]So cabinet is not chosen from members of the House of Commons or the House of Lords? So you're telling me Blair could go and appoint David Beckham as minister for Sports despite the public not voting for him to represent them?

I find that odd. Australia has a westminster system, and only elected parliamentary members may serve in cabinet.
[/QUOTE]Generally this is the way it works, however the PM can put anyone he wants in a cabinet position. Recently our PM appointed someone from the Senate who was not elected. When they do this type of thing they do get heat from other opposition MPs and voters so it is not a good idea to do this to often. In reality a PM as alot more power than a President. The Governor General who represents the queen signs all the laws but has no real power. She is appointed by the PM and I have never known a GG to oppose a PM ever. I mean she could say I am not going to sign this document so it can't become law but they never do although theoretically I guess they can. Observing both systems both have there advantages and disadvantages and it doesn't matter what system you have if corrupt officials are elected.

[ 11-15-2006, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote