View Single Post
Old 11-14-2004, 10:52 PM   #10
ScottG
Drow Warrior

The "hide" ability of this character (along with the massive magical ability both offensivly and defensivly), make even a well-played rogue easy-pickings.. but don't take my word for it, try the build.

Attributes based points and feats can increase the hide skills, but really how much more? Chances are NONE will be spent on Feats (there are to many other better feats to choose from), so that leaves you with attribute increases. I think from a prior rogue build I achieved something like 32 in Dex. and that equals only 8 more points for each skill - not enough IMO to even talk about. As far as spoting the character is concerned, well you said it, Improved Invisibility. If that doesn't work for you we have displacement and finally the various sanctuarys. In otherwords this is a non-issue.

Ahh, automatic quicken three is what is required, perhaps this could be acomplished with the removal of the improved initiative and superior initiative? (still missing a feat though). The problem here is WHEN you can get them.., and when you can get other feats that might be more advantageous. If it can be done without real compromise then I'm all for it. I could see giving up Necromancy Epic Focus for it.

"level 22 pixie won't save you from the worst of them."
-Perhaps not, but it will save you from most of them. (and presumably damage reduction will for anything lethal). Again, another non-issue.

As for attributes in general, they are high enough with the aforementioned empowered spells. Another non-issue.

Played properly, saves won't be an issue. I've tested this extensivly (this is in line with my reasoning on primary attributes). Sure, a level 40 caster can remove a lot of protection - what else is new? Saves will not "save" your protection in such an instance. (at least not reliably.) Again, another non-issue.

I think you misunderstood what my original intent for this build was. Its that the character should be as, or more, effective than MOST other characters in ALL situations except null and wild magic zones, while still having decent capability in these zones. There will always be situations where a more purist build will triumph, but invariably that same build will be woefully inadequete in another situation. Conversly, this build will not.

All-in-all I think the build (for most situations) is more than a "cut above the rest". And sure, it could probably stand some improvement - in particular I think your suggestion of the 3 quicken's is a good idea if it can be done without substantial compromises, (as of course the +1 to spellcraft is).
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote