View Single Post
Old 11-14-2004, 04:35 PM   #8
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Hmm, didn't know about the spellcraft bonus. Certainly worth another point for the additional +1. Whether its worth another 5 points is up to player. Still, with all the magical protection saves shouldn't be an issue unless its dispelled.

Truesight always-on is a rareity. This gives you the "jump" (initial attack).

Tumble doesn't increase AC past +4 on my game (with the most recent patch).. I wish it did.

Attribute problems are overcome with Cleric empowered attribute spells. There is no "suffereing" here unless your increase is dispelled (i.e. you will be as effective as a pure class is most of the time).

Automatic quicken spells are rather useless offensivly (to many spell slots "above" leaves in-effective spells), this leaves healing your character as the alternative.

The lack of Discipline CAN be a problem, but unless that same knockdown character has truesight operating it shouldn't ever be a problem. Even then of course there are methods to stop them.. i.e. bigby's "hands". Or time stop + whatever.

Hiding is as good as it gets for ANY character.

Saves are not a problem, in fact you'll likely never need them with all of the magical protection at the character's disposal.

Traps (finding and disarming) are taken care of by the familiar (as are locks).

Death Ward protects against quivering palm without making the 7th level Wizard expenditure (and lasts longer).

Magic attackers can be taken care of easily with the method mentioned, and Rouges can be killed rather easily.

Critical attacks are still problematic, this is the one area where any mage (except an undead or a palemaster) is still vunerable. Chances are though that even VERY high strength opponents will still be able to be either physically restrained or mental restraint. (or the time stop + attack).

Essentially this means that because of knockdown and critical attacks physical attackers with high hit points and strength are still the most difficult to kill. Even then though, if there aren't to many, its still pretty easy.

So I might agree with you on the spellcraft one point additional, otherwise the character is VERY optimized. Weakness are minimized provided you play the character properly.

I've tested this character with multiples of 40 level fighters, rouges, clerics, and wizards (3 of each) - all at the same time. I've also tested with Multiples of various high level monsters such as prismatic dragons, dracoliches, liches, high drow wizards, black slaads, epic fiends, etc. all in multiples at the same time. (all were AI, but against a real person singularly shouldn't pose a problem either).

[ 11-14-2004, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: ScottG ]
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote