View Single Post
Old 12-10-2004, 05:17 PM   #26
Lucern
Quintesson

Quote:
(Larry_OHF) I am glad for my ability to speak Spanish, and use it very frequently here in the South, where a white boy that speaks anything besideshis native language is a marvel to behold. I want to learn other languages, but the resources are not here for me.
I know how you feel Larry. Isn't it great? I speak French, and while much less useful in the US than Spanish, imagine the freakish looks I get when I proclaim that I speak it. Especially in a country where parts of it started referring to Freedom Fries lol. It's like an act of defiance.

I'd also like to point out that learning another language makes one more aware of the meanings, constructions, and strange expressions of their first language. It worked that way for me anyway.

Quote:
(Wellard) Is it a form of imperial arrogance? Do members of this forum get annoyed that it is English based or so many films and TV and music for that matter, or just accept it as given without a second thought?
Aside from the practical aspect of English being so common, I think it's worthwhile to consider the link between language and power. The spread of a language can be seen as a form of cultural hegemony. There is culture and meaning throughout all languages, and the dominance of one comes at the cost of the other and its culture. I too am happy to see languages thrive, as it is a resistance to this; I am also sad to see others die out.

A simple example of what I am talking about in Wellard's part of the world. Is it generally more advantageous to speak an indigenous language in Australia or English? It'd be nice to know both, but that won't happen in enough people - the society won't put the languages or those who speak them on equal footing.

There are practical reasons for what people do (including arts and music in English), but there are cultural consequences, whether they're intended or not. *Closes anthropology book*