View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Default Re: Oklahoma ban the ten commandments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
Immigrant and Muslim hate are the only prejudices left that are acceptable and en vogue. My belief is mankind will always drift first and foremost toward racial prejudices as the easiest way to define "us" and "them." It's our inherent xenophobia. So, the rest of society really has to ban together and collectively work to stomp this kind of stuff out.

It worked with prejudice against blacks. It only took about 150 years, but it finally became so unfashionable to be prejudice against blacks that to admit any hint of it is political and career suicide these days.
The fact that a judge based his decision on a defendants' religious beliefs, rather than the law, moves this story beyond fear or hate-mongering. It adds validity to the concern because this is not a hypothetical question...it has happened and now other areas have a legitimate reason to wonder if it could happen there as well.

Admittedly, I think the the chance of Sharia law being used to determine a case is extremely remote in Oklahoma. Also, the judge didn't technically apply Sharia law, he just ruled the defendant was "acting in accordance with his beliefs". Well, if that's the case, the I should be allowed to kill any witches I meet since my belief states I should not suffer a witch to live.

I realize judges do try to take the personal and religious beliefs of defendants into consideration, but religious beliefs still should NOT override federal law. I would be morecomfortable if the OK Amendment stated OK Courts shall not apply any religious laws in the rendering of decisions in the courtroom. That would prohibit cases like the one in NJ while still following both the spirit and the letter of the First Amendment.