View Single Post
Old 07-21-2001, 02:18 AM   #5
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

at first i thought being able to manage the details of the guild was very cool. unfortunately, it basically comes down to this: you have five thief "managers" you give instructions to, and for each you have three parameters ranging from high-risk/high-profit to safe/low-return. the money these guys bring in is fairly irrelevant; 500-800 on avg gp per week is paltry compared to the cash you get from just one minor quest (coins, gems, and selling unneeded magic items). the biggest drawback is that you MUST check in to pay your dues every week, or Renal will take the guild away from you. you can get it back but it costs more two or three months' profit from the place (i had 17 CHA, 20 rep and had to pay 4000 to get it back). so any time consuming quests (basically any quest outside of athkatla besides nalia's) and you risk losing the guild. and of course, taking off to spellhold guarantees you lose it once you return in chapter 6.

if you're getting all the side quests done before going to get imoen, go ahead and take the guild. if, however, you're leaving some quests (esp the tougher ones like the eyeless cult, windspear hills, and sewer flayers) go ahead and ACCEPT the guild but do NOT enter it until you get back from the underdark. renal doesnt expect money from you until youve "checked in", so to speak.

imho, it was fun the first time around, but micromanaging all those thieves and having to base my quests around dues time was just too tedious for such a meagre reward.

it would have been nice if you could actually commission some specific thieving, such as "import me some regeneration potions" or "kill so-and-so" or "steal tolgerias' ring for me". ah well.