View Single Post
Old 06-05-2003, 11:38 PM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:
Luvian,

Our old site had thumbnail previews so people could actually get previews of all of the ports and pick and choose what they wanted. Some other sites just offer huge folders or zip files with NO preview capability. Just "dumping the pics into a folder" doesn't allow for preview capability.

Also, a lot of old the FREE sites simply do not offer sufficient bandwidth for downloads. Our old site had almost 56 gigs of download capability per month and we were STILL bumping into that on occassion - and that was with considerably fewer pics than we now have. Most free sites only offer 16 gigs at most and are frequently shut down when there limited downlaod capacity is exceeded. We wanted to avoid that, so the type of site you suggest doesn't meet our needs.

We were also hoping to expand the site to include scripts, voice sets and other content and that requires further resources.

A small but important point, but we also had a page devoted fully to recognizing all of the artists whose work we were using. We both felt that it was absolutely essential that the original artists receive credit - a simple folder site doesn't give us that capability. As an aside, none of our editing is done on ANY work that we have not received permission from the original artist to use.

Finally, this has been a collaborative effort between Mike and I from the beginning. Mike's departure for the Middle East was SO abrupt that he didn't even have time to contact me to let me know that he was leaving (we don't live in the same city or even the same state). SO, until I heard from him when he returned in early May, I didn't know for sure WHERE he had vanished to (although I did have my suspicions). To be honest, I thought Mike might have lost interest in recreating the site and it wasn't until his return that I now know the reasons for his "disappearnace". Additionally, Mike is now OUT of the military so his time has been spent getting acclimated to civilian life - and quite frankly his top priorities are NOT on getting the site back on line IMMEDIATELY.

While the process you describe does indeed seem simple, it's not the type of site we want to build. So please try to bear with us. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Are you saying that you don't have a full backup of your websites on your computer? I have a local copy of every html files of any websites I ever made both on my hard drive and on cd roms. Every website has it's folder, with files separated among subfolders just as they would be on the webhost. All I have to do is connect to the new ftp and drag and drop the files to the new server. You should really do something like that, having no backup copy of your website is really a bad idea.

As for finding a good free host, you could try this one, here's what they offer:

Quote:
50MB Free Web Space (and more if you need it!)
Free Guestbook
Free Chat Board
Free Form Email
Free Web Page Builder
Free Web Page Templates
Free Clip Art
Search Engine Submission
Fast Server
Simple URL (http://dreamwater.com/yourname)
Free subdomain (http://yourname.dreamwater.com)
Unlimited Bandwidth
Unlimited Hits

No Annoying Pop-Up Banners !
Best of all, ITS ALL FREE FOR EVER !