View Single Post
Old 02-16-2003, 04:30 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Im not familiar with debian, I prefer redhat or one of its relatives. in particular debian has a different package manager. So, I cant give precise commands here, since I only know RPM, and Linux standard paths are tricky at best.

The first thing to check is the X server. Find out how to use the package manager, and check to make sure X is installed. (he usual one is XFree86) Then go to wherever in hell it keeps its binaries/scripts ( /usr/bin/Xfree86.... ?) and run the configure script (normaly type ./configure instead of just configure, this is a safety measure associated with being root). I dont have enough HDD space to install Linux on my system at the moment so I cant be exact, but its pretty self explanatory. Or at least should be. If your using an older distribution you may have XFree86 2.xx, which has trouble with some video cards, esp Nvidia ones. XFreee86 3.xx shouldnt have any trouble though.

When thats done, there should be another script to start it.

After that do the same for KDE/GNOME. I prefer KDE2 myself, but all KDEs are system hogs, so youll get better performance from GNOME.

If you get this far, load up your configuration utility. There should be a util that will let you configure startup scripts sensibly. IIRC, you need to start X and KDE/GNOME at all runlevels >3 <6 . And ,make sure X is in before KDE/GNOME in all startups, and vice vera in all shutdowns.