dude, you guys

IF BGII is designed for PvP

there will be only two best strategies for mages at the end

one is:
maze + muti-delayed fireballs

and:
chaos sphere

you see, chaos sphere kills you NO MATTER WHAT MAGIC RESISTANCE YOU HAVE

however, in PvP, chaos sphere doesnt work on teammate, so we cancle that one out

that left maze + muti area spells (that is the only one works, maze costs no time to cast)

all the other strategies are bullshit

because if you cast time stop, it takes around 3 seconds to complete (with Robe of Vecna) the monk can put a scroll of magic protection on YOUR mage at the mean while, this scroll disables all your spell casting ability and all protection

also, even if you have stoneskin or mirror image, the spell casting can still be interrupted (easily) switch on flail of agies or just better yet, use stunning blow, it directly go through

so the only way is to use Pro Against magical weapons of all type (this can still be defeated, but I am not gonna go over here) the easiest way out is still magic protection scroll. removes all your protections and make you unable to cast any spells, dead sorc/mage

sorc/mage really sucks in this BGII

now lets say if we can defeat sorc/mage without scroll of magic protection

easily, everyone can have at least 60% magic resis (with item), and a godly saving throw, that said, no magic can penatrate

just start attacking, then if the mage put on any protection spells, or use muti lower resis, try hide a bit till the effect is gone, you see, mages have only that many spells, once run out, they are dead, and I am goddamn sure as hell a mage cannot kill a proper built fighter/barb/pally of any kind

I myself am one hella good (mage) dueler, and mages just suck