View Single Post
Old 10-29-2004, 01:59 PM   #15
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
actually the only proven effect smoking has on an unborn child is low birth weight. I am not saying it is right, so do not get on my case about it. but I did smoke with all three of my kids not because I was a bad mother or anything like that, but because it is an addiction, if any of you have ever been addicted to anything you will understand. yes smoking harms people. we all know this, but it is not easy to stop.
It is sad to read what you just said. My mom quit cold the minute she discovered she was carrying me. Therefore, addictions can be overcome providing the proper incintive.

Also, low birth weight is not the "only" negative outcome. Low birth weight can contribute to other health problems after birth. Also, since you brought up the mention of "addiction", did you not think that the nicotine would also affect the baby in the same way? Therefore, your newborns must have suffered withdrawls from the drug, just like any other type of drug. The placenta is a very good natural barrier for many toxins and pollutions that could harm a baby, but the placenta does not stop drugs. That is why women who are pregnant cannot take any medications during the first trimester, and are limited to just Tylenol during the remainder of the pregnancy, unless consulted by a doctor.

Please do not ever let on to anyone that such behavior is even remotely acceptable.

I apologize for the rant. You hit a sensitive nerve.
[/QUOTE]I am not saying what I did was right, and with the last one I went to ultra lights, and stopped smoking as much as I did. but there was also a something my doctor told me. due to my manic depressive ways, and all of the stress I was already going through, the last thing he felt I should do is try and quit smoking. it would put more stess on me and the babies, and possibly cause even more problems for the pregnancy. if I could change anything, it would be that I never started smoking in the first place. and do not tell me to try the patch...tried that and that is when we found out I am allergic to adhesive.