View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 07:07 AM   #1
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Default Police find no motive for Illinois campus shooting

CBC news..

Six people, including the gunman, died in the shooting.

Investigators are continuing to scour the campus of Northern Illinois University Friday, a day after a gunman shot and killed five students and took his own life.

Police say they have found no motive for the shooting, which happened Thursday afternoon in a university lecture hall as students were attending an oceanography class.

Sixteen other people were injured, but their conditions are not known.

The university website said the gunman, who shot and killed himself, was a graduate student in sociology who last enrolled in spring 2007. Police said he was armed with a shotgun and two handguns.

Four people died at the scene, including three students and the gunman, while two other students died at hospital, university president John Peters said Thursday.

Authorities did not release any other details about the gunman or identify the victims.
Peters told a news conference Thursday evening that witnesses said "someone dressed in black came out from behind a screen at the front of the classroom and opened fire with a shotgun."

He called it a "brief, rapid-fire assault."

"This thing started and ended in a matter of seconds," university police Chief Donald Grady said.

About 200 students and other mourners gathered on the campus around midnight for a candlelight vigil for the victims. Some cried and hugged, while others prayed.

The school will remain closed Friday and all weekend activities on campus have been cancelled.

Students fled in panic

"People were crawling on each other, trampling each other," said student Desiree Smith, who lay down and worked her way toward the back of the lecture hall.

"As I got near the door, I got up and I started running."

Student Jerry Santoni said he saw the gunman shoot at the teacher.

"After that, I proceeded to get down as fast as I could," he said.

The teacher was wounded but is expected to recover, Peters said.

A student who was in the lecture hall when the shooting began told the university paper that the scene was chaotic.

"Some girl got hit in the eye, a guy got hit in the leg," George Gaynor told the Northern Star.

The university, which has about 25,000 students enrolled, is about 100 kilometres west of Chicago.