View Single Post
Old 07-19-2001, 03:26 PM   #34
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Cavern Sniffer:
I lumped Gauths and Beholders together as they are encountered together, Gauths can certainly be silenced as can Dragons as can Beholders, at least this is what the text tells me. Did I say that silence would protect from a Beholder attack.......I think not. Yes incidentally a Beholder can be silenced, did you never talk to the Beholder/Spectator in the Underwater City? This would lead one to assume that they are capable of oral communication. Or perhaps you thought that was all a psychological communication and no exchange of words took place. Would you consider a Dragon as a "low to mid level spellcaster" I wonder....now who is talking nonsense I have to ask myself.
Now, Cavernsniffer, just take a deep breath and relax, please ! This is just a misunderstanding: I probably phrased that a little inadequately but it was never my intention to accuse you of talking nonsense. Rather what I meant to say was that I think that the rules/game engine should not allow "silence" to work against the magic of gauths/beholders which is non-verbal and based on their gazes. What is the easiest proof of that fact is their breathtaking casting speed: if they were to achieve that verbally they would need 7 mouths instead of their seven (?) eyes - lol. But if you are indeed right and "Silence" works on beholders/gauths the ones guilty of "nonsense" would be the game developers and certainly not you who would be merely taking advantage of an illogical gap in the rules. I am not sure but I suppose you are right that the magic of dragons works verbally in the same way as that of human spellcasters and thus it appears logical that dragons should be vulnerable to "silence" and I never questioned that in my earlier post here. What I meant by low- to midlevel spellcasters is very trite: as a second level spell "silence" comes without any penalties for the saving throws of the targets which of course entails that the rate of success against high-level opponents with excellent saving throws has to be rather low. That was also the reason why I suggested that "silence" should be used in conjunction with "Greater Malison". Okay ?

------------------
So long !

R³ - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks

Btw, the cow is queuing in the slaughterhouse right now !

[This message has been edited by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon (edited 07-19-2001).]