View Single Post
Old 11-15-2001, 04:15 PM   #7
Magness
Quintesson

Jordi,

I just completed an elven archer thru SoA and ToB.

The +5 leather armor that you got the the mayor will be the best armor that you'll find until you can kill the shadow dragon have Cromwell create the Shadow Dragon armor for you.

I kept the Bracers of Archery for my archer and gave the Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise to one of my tanks. I just wasn't that concerned with my melee skills. If my archer was in a melee, then he probably did something wrong.

I actually didn't give my PC the Boots of Speed until either late in SoA or ToB. I didn't want to have my archer PC to be at the front of my party's formation. That's where my tanks belong.

I also gave my main tank, Keldorn, the cloak of mirroring. I had my archer use the cloak of non-detection and the boots of stealth. Since my archer was always behind a line of tanks, it was rare that he needed the cloak of mirroring. I prefered to make my archer the sneakiest darned ranger possible. It's great to be able to sneak up on a eney mage and turn him into a pin cushion!!!

The Heartseeker longbow is the best longbow in SoA and IMHO it remains the best in ToB as well. I never worried too much about what melee weapon my archer used. I made certain that my other party members got their best weapons. My archer took the best of what was left. (Hey, when you can only get 1 * in any melee weapon type, you end up with a LOT of melee weapon types with 1 *.) I actually ended up having my archer use some of the 2 handed halberds, staves, or spears that I would give to my shield-using tanks. The +4 staff of Rynn (which can be bought at the Adventure Mart) works great here.