Thread: Own game
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2001, 02:56 PM   #191
Legolas the Elven Archer

Ah, yes. Good ol' marching order. I lost count, but in BG2 my weaker party members always ended up in front when I moved to a new area, no matter what I tried. And believe me, that's really annoying.

It would be good to have something like that in your game (what's it going to be called? Need some suggestions on that?) if only because annoying things like that are no positive modifier on a game's replay value.

I was wondering how you were dealing with the combats. Do you use a system like in BG (compare THACO with AC and roll a die) or did you chose a system with more factors than that? (in warhammer, it's compare Weapon Skill with opponent's weapon skill to determine if you hit, Compare strength with toughness to determine if you hit a place where you can inflict a serious wound, then roll a die to see if the opponent's armour protects him or not (modified by the strength of the attacker), followed by another unmodified save for certain rare troops or characters with the right magical equipment)
The advantage of an AD&D like system is it's simplicity; it doesn't take a lot of dice (just one) and it doesn't take up much space either. It also means each model needs only three characteristics (HP, THACO and AC). It does mean that there's less variety in the bonusses from magical items and the characteristics of the creatures themselves.

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings