View Single Post
Old 12-30-2004, 06:36 PM   #57
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Malthaussen:
The question falls into two mutually-exclusive areas.

But the possible "ruination" of women's sport is likely, I think, unless we face reality and admit that equality can't be a two-way street. Opponents of women in men's sport claim that if such a rule were implemented, then women's sports must be opened to men. I really don't see the logic of that. Oh, it has a nice, idealistic, internal "fairness" to it, but to me it smells more like a manufactured irrefutable retort made by men who don't want to see women competing with the boys. I think there should be a shift in attitude, where the "men's" leagues are open to anyone of talent, regardless of race, creed, sexual preference, or whether or not they stand or sit when shaking hands. With women's leagues to determine the best athletes among women --

The transition would be chaotic, mind you. It would take a lot of short-term adjustments before the change was accepted. But then, all change is like that, whether it's a change in playoff structure or a change in player eligibility.

-- Mal
Excellent post Mal.

As I stated before, the line that will have to be drawn is probably when the sport becomes a full time paid job. Of course that leaves a grey area / legal minefield in semi pro leagues when a small bonus payment is made but it leaves amateur sport free to be segregated by sex. And as for the fairness.... well It's a big tough old world out there [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years