View Single Post
Old 01-14-2002, 03:07 PM   #10
Erydian
Manshoon

You can't cast on an invisible creature, that isn't something that Secret Word is limited to. True Sight/Oracle etc. will take care of this problem though.

I've always used Secret Word... until I got something better/more effective anyway, and then it becomes a back-up option if I have the slots available.

Personally, if I have a party, I like to use that party - and that means tanks too, so I consider Breach an incredibly useful spell. I'm trying to imagine going through the game using only Skull Trap and other AE's to eliminate all of the wizardly foes, and quite frankly, I can't see it happening. It might be possible, but I don't necessarily agree that doing so is a better, or even more efficient strategy (unless you're playing solo).

I do agree with that summoning spells are valuable spells. I just don't think they outweigh Breach or other debuffing spells. Summoned creatures won't be able to hit those mages that have combat spells protecting them anyway - they are subject to the same rules that your tank PC's are. They can still act as a deterrent however, provided an enemy caster does not dispel them with a Death spell or a Death Fog.

Additionally, any AE's that you throw out in hopes of taking down enemy wizards are *usually* going to hit your summoned creatures as well, and if you run across something that has higher resists/saves, or the right protection spells up you might even succeed in doing more damage to your summoned army than to the enemy in question.

I guess I just like to use strategies that make use of all of my characters, and that have versatality. If something goes wrong, I don't want to have to reload my game and restart the fight, I want to be able to have a backup plan that will work, even if it wasn't my first choice. I consider using the party I have, and using the spells that I have available to me - a viable and efficient option, and I really don't see how *not* using them is any more efficient.