View Single Post
Old 01-14-2002, 01:03 PM   #9
Azred
Drow Priestess

Yes, area effect spells go through most defenses; however, globe of invulnerability makes a mage immune to skull trap. Furthermore, Protection from the Elements layered with Fire Shield: Red will give a cumulative fire resistance of >100%, so that even 3 skull traps from a 20th level mage does no damage whatsoever. Since these are both combat protections, Breach will nullify them both. Breach also comes in handy whenever I see that some dragon has cast Stoneskin on himself (now isn't that fun?). Breach is probably the most useful spell a mage can have; Sorcerers should choose it first when they get 5th level spells.

Secret Word seems to be getting negative publicity here. Au contraire, mystical neophytes! Most mages fire some sort of Spell Sequencer or Spell Trigger (or some sort of magical tattoo, if you are a Cowled Wizard) which includes Normal/Minor Spell Deflection/Turning but not Globe of Invulnerability. In fact, I have yet to encounter a foe who uses the Globe. Secret Word can remove all those spells, so that you can target that mage; since most mages do have low hit points you can easily use Power Word spells or Maze. The only drawbacks to Secret Word are 1) it will not remove Spell Trap (use Ruby Ray) and 2) it can't target someone who is invisible.

I encourage all mages who shy away from Secret Word to give it a second look.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote