Thread: Wimp Monk
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2003, 09:03 AM   #19
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
Actually... there is a difference between powergaming and outright cheating.

When a person powergames, he exploits every nook and cranny of the game and uses loopholes to the best of his advantage. Whatever he does is legitimate and not illegal. Ergo, he is not cheating, but he is certainly not roleplaying either.

When a person cheats, he uses tools to aid him in ways that were not possible in the first place, like maxing out every single stat to the max. Or give his characters the best equipment at the start of the game. Stuff like that.

In conclusion, the only thing that Kakero is guilty of, is powergaming, something that a lot of players do, but he is not cheating, and he is not exploiting any bug either.
No, a powergamer is someone that always use what can give him the most power, or the most advantages, true, but not every powergamer exploit bugs and game engine's weakness. Using loopholes and bugs is only legitimate for someone of little concience and morals.

I have seen tons of posts in wich people said things like:
Quote:
If you chose option 4 of that npc, he's going to give you his quest reward, and then you talk to him again and get it again, you can do it all the time!!
Now, don't tell me this is not exploiting a bug. What about the spell "Magic Resistance" in Bladur's Gate II. It's suposed to stack with the creature's magic resistance, but everyone still use it on monsters because they know it will lower the monster's magic resistance, instead. Is this not exploiting? Is this legal? Do you think Devs intended it that way? Why are they patching that kind of things as soon as they learn about it? Just because something can be done, does not mean it's legal.

You are mixing exploiters and powergamers. Lots of powergamers exploit games, but not all powergamer do. I am a powergamer, but I don't use the game in ways it was not intended. I'm going to max my character primary stats, even if I know not all mages have the max int, or not all rogues have the max dext. I will choose what weapon skills to master based on the most powerfull weapons that are in the game. But I never will use things the way they are not intended.

Exploiting a game, and using an editor to max your stats is cheating in both case, it's just that one of those is a lot worse than the other.

Claiming anything else is a moral fallacy.