View Single Post
Old 01-14-2003, 10:59 PM   #15
Imrahil
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
ps. I know it's not realistic to just have 3 intelliect but this game is almost hack and slash. you can still finish the game even with 1 intellect. different kind of game need different kind of thinking you know.
Just because you can emploit the game engine does not mean you have to. How can you be proud of yourself after completing a game, if you exploited it? It's like playing poker with somone who does not know the rules, and inventing new hands. How can you then be proud of your victory? That cheating.[/QUOTE]While I completely agree with you in principle, & create my characters in the same vein that you do, I can't honestly fault people for exploiting the game engine. Rather, I see it as a fault of the game engine itself that there really aren't any penalties for having a 3 Int Fighter (or Monk, or Sorcerer!!!).

Granted, I would never recommend someone Min/Max when creating a character, but I wouldn't call it cheating. There absolutely *should* be drawbacks to creating such a dimwit character, but there aren't. Your analogy should, IMO, be modified to read "playing poker with someone who doesn't know what the Wild Cards are, but *should*". It's the game that's flawed for allowing it, not necessarily the players who use what's available to them (although, I must stress again, I don't do it myself & don't recommend it to anyone who really wants to enjoy the game).

- Imrahil
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote