View Single Post
Old 10-28-2004, 04:41 AM   #28
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
Let's look at DnD from a different POV!

I am a Christian, but was not until a year ago! And boy, interesting story!

DnD got me started thinking about religion and ethics. The good/evil axis really inspired me philosofically, and I started reading ForgottenRealms books, which are laden with moral questions and struggle. Then I read the Cleric Quintet! By that time I had already become a Christian but had no real idea what i should be doing. But the CQ showed me a man SO devout in his beliefs that nothing could hurt him and he could trample all that stood before him. And then i realised, I can do this as well! I háve the access to that kind of mental stability, and it has led me to grow beyond other Christians close to me who have been a Christian for many more years. They have often expressed my close connection to the Holy Spirit, I even heard that from a priest.

With this story I want to show that DnD can also be a good influence. It's all in the mind of the person doing it. If you are open to the devil's influence, you will be influenced. If you recognize and battle his work every way, you should not be afraid of playing games that possibly might interest you in the occult.

Then, on the other side, there is the point that the arcane magic in DnD is as far from this world's occultism as can be. You cannot learn anything from DnD and how mages cast spells is totally different from modern witches. That there often is a pantheon can in most worlds be explained by the fact that in those worlds the gods are not really gods, rather powerful entities...
Good story! ..and Catterly is very cool too!