View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #35
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Default Re: Dragon Age 2 (Rant included, PG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
So basically, there are people who hate him because he "betrayed" them in-game. As in, if he had not done this, they would still like him. Yeah, they are fans of him - sometimes known as fanboys. They like to hate him and are very into it etc. But, then there are people who just think he is a shitty character and has no business in a game, like me. People who feel the game would be better without him.

This is the distinction here. To say that the latter group of people deep-down actually like this character and that this speaks about how interesting and depthful he is, would not be true. They are not fans complaining about a twist in the plot. They are enemies.

It reminds me of that whole team Edward vs. team Taylor thing in Twilight. Teen girls arguing about who they love and hate, yet given the choice, they would not remove either because that's what makes the movie. They just a chance to talk about the characters and debate whether a vampite or wolf would be their dream date. (Personally, i'd slay them both and be done with it).
I think the distinction that I'm trying to make here is, simply: I liked him as a character. For what he was, he was well written, I just didn't like who he was written to be. This gets us way off topic, but the NPC's had depth, and could trigger intense emotional responses. In this, they did a fine job of successoring(made up words ftw)BG. Let's face it however, BG will be imitated, but it will never be duplicated. The concept was fresh, at the time, and well done. So well done that anyone that ever truly loved it will never be able to be as happy with another game.

The difference between BG and DA et al is that in BG there was one story to tell, and in DA, there are a lot of stories that they want to tell. The complaint that I have seen the most about the DA Universe is that you're not the main char you were in the last installment. The comparison to Mass Effect ends there, since it's all one guy/gal.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote