View Single Post
Old 04-09-2001, 06:55 PM   #10
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Napster is a great idea - it gives people a chance to find rare tracks that cannot be bought (or are collectors items, so cost a huge amount), or live tracks. Also, as everyone has said you can test music that, otherwise, you might not get to listen to. However, people don't just use it for that, and use it to obtain all their new music - which is the problem.

Personally I like to buy CDS (even though I think they're overpriced), because I like to have the proper case, booklet etc... .Also people should get payed for the music they make, (even if the rich ones have been slightly hypocritical about this whole thing), but I don't see why some bloke in an executives office should get money for music they've never heard or had input into. Isn't this why the record industry is trying to stop it; it's not the artists that will loose out in the long run, it's the record companies. If you have an mp3 all you need are the rights to listen to it legally - why couldn't these be bought amost straight from the artist. I'm sure more people would be happy to do this, as it would certainly be cheaper. You may not get the 'whole product', but not everyone wants to have another CD to clutter up their house.

I should also mention I have a few mp3s - Some of them are rare/live tracks that I had no other way to obtain other than downloading. The others aren't so hard to find, but most of them I fully intend to buy when I can afford it, (except 'I am the one and only' by Chesney Hawks).

Napster isn't ideal, but it is a fantastic idea, and it is a bad thing if it is lost.
I think the most ironic thing about all this is that the music industry will start to use something like napster to distribute music in the future. The difference is, they will be able to start charging even more for music than they do now.