View Single Post
Old 02-09-2005, 07:28 AM   #107
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by John D Harris:
quote:
Originally posted by Cerek:

Most Southerners really do NOT take as much offense at "red neck scum" as you might think. As John D. pointed out, we actually wear that badge with a bit of pride. Because whenever it is used, it is a clear sign that we have pissed off somebody who disagrees with us and they have nothing left to do but to resort to insulting our heritage. Too bad for them we aren't as ashamed of our heritage as they would like us to be.
ROTFLMAO, it takes years of ta-bacy chewing, pork rine eat'en, and NASCAR watching to de-velope that finely honed skill. [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Well heck JD (and Cerek) [img]smile.gif[/img] - credit me with a little intelligence now if you please.

Why do you think I selected my target as the rednecks? I had to be quite particular about what I chose seeing as the thread title decided the two other words that would be going with it. It was because true rednecks are proud of what they are and who they be (and there aint no problem with that), and it had the prospect of broaching on the topic that I was introducing with a touch of comedic input and thus not jarring too many feckles or hackles or whatever [img]smile.gif[/img] . Lets face it, this topic would have gone ballistic if I had used a religuous alternative, and besides, the thread is already too religion based in terms of the TOS.

So no dudes - I aint "pissed" with rednecks. I was making a point which I considered touchy and offensive in a manner in which I hoped would get the point discussed rather than get the thread shut down. To Cerek and JD - I think you guys are quite proud of your country, and I think that although you could manage a "I don't mind it" reply to my hypothetical, you are not really being honest in answering the broader question of tagging countries with insults. Deny it if you will, but having exchanged posts with you guys over many years I think that the topic would get very heated if the boot (re the thread title) was being put in the other way around. For example, a thread about the guards at Abu Ghraib could be titled as "Torturing scum" or it could be titled as the version that has the country. You can say what you will of me, but the fact is that I would be just as down on anyone to remove the American from that second alternative for exactly the same reasons that I have objected to the current title.

Me - I try to treat other countries and peoples the way I would like to see mine treated.

PS : I have one real regret on this threade. I really really really really really really really wish I had NEVER EVER bought up that Achy Breaky Heart song. That has been with me ever since