Thread: new kit contest
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2001, 09:11 AM   #26
Baron Nocturna
Dungeon Master

I was kidding about winning. It was more a reference to the title of the original post .

As far as being a power character, I really did NOT want this to be an unstoppable tank, that wouldn't be fun. My thoughts on the casting time would be that you would have basically those disciplines that are instant and a those that take concentration. The ones that take concentration should have a casting time of 4+ IMO. Just a rough guideline. Another interesting idea was with improved saves vs. certain "mind" based spells (charm, confusion, etc...) Is that even possible? I thought that saves were against spells, death, poison, etc... Maybe immunity to certain lower level charms makes more sense. Just a thought. Finally in the name of balance, how weak should the fighting skills be? I realized that a monk thats about 3 levels behind the fighting curve would be hideously weak at low level. This is not a huge deal in SOA as you pretty much start out at 7th level but it is something to consider. I'm not sure how to balance the fighting abilities with the new skills from being a psionic. The -2 strength at character creation is pretty brutal and since having 18 strength seems to be what people want for a front line fighter type, that may go a long way. I dunno, I'm sure that whatever you do with it will be cool. I like you always liked the psionic abilities in old school D&D but hated how they were implimented. I always thought it should be its own character class and using the model of the monk made sense to me. Oh well, I appreciate you taking the time to do something like this.

Baron Nocturna

------------------
Anyone care to see my Rod of Lordly Might?