View Single Post
Old 09-16-2003, 04:22 PM   #5
EEWorzelle
Manshoon

I agree with you, Wereboar, that Magic realms matter a lot for the power levels that can be cast in the green. When letting use rather than points at level-up increase those Skills the Power Levels follow the Points. It is the practices of the party that determine whether this is a temporary, short term disadvantage or a longer term one. Using casters for fighting would deny them some of the Magic experience they require to grow Realms to the highest levels through use alone.

However that is only the case for spells one has had for several levels past the one where it was first obtained. When a Magic Realm is 100, and you get a new Spell in that Realm at the first possible level (Like a Level 7 Spell gotten at Level 18) it can only be cast on the green at Power Level 1 (as the others have said). In one party where my casters had Realms at 100, Intelligence at 100, Piety at 100, School of Mastery 125 and Powercast near 100, some of their Level 7 Spells, at Level 24,were yellow on Power Level 7 (looked at it just 3 nights ago).

Regarding Powercasting Hybrids, that you, Sultan, brought up a short while ago and ChoasTheorist championed while he was still posting, I have been re-examining the Samurai. Another player brought up a while ago that the Alchemist is only has better offensive Spells than the Mage at Level 7 (due to more favorable resistance conditions in the monsters faced). Indeed the Mage sixth Level Spells are pretty fantastic, including Blizzard and Banish. Toward the end of the game, a Samurai could be casting those on the green at PL 6 or 7, even if their Level 7 spells won't be fully developed yet. I was examing a design where Powercast could be obtained by about Level 12, Powerstrike a half dozen levels later (18), Dexterity maxed about 3 or 4 levels later and Senses solid and increasing near the end. I would definitely use a shield and ignore Dual Weapons Skill in that case, but that is not required for the concept. I was considering the Mook for this, in fact, so the Giant Sword would be another way to go later. Humm, I like that.

Peter, yes that is exactly what I observe with my Bards. The Power Level they cast at is automatic, and not always the highest. If you have the combat dialog set to verbose and watch carefully you can see the Power Levels they use. Unfortunately, against high resistance, on the Peak, I find that the Bards offensive Spells often give exactly zero damage. I even gave my Bard Powercast in an early game but it did nothing for the Bard. With Haste, Restoration, and an incredible Melee capability, my Bard is only second after the Priest for mvc in my parties. Third is the Alchemist which stands out among the Attacking Casters.

[ 09-16-2003, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: EEWorzelle ]
EEWorzelle is offline   Reply With Quote