View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #11
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Default Re: DAO NPC alignments and thoughts in general

Morrigan: Chaotic Neutral with selfish tendencies. She also has the social graces of a rock, but considering where and how she was raised, and by whom, well it's not surprising.

Sten: Chaotic Neutral. Anyone is capable of doing something they regret, and if there's one thing that's evident, Sten regrets what he did to wind up in the cage, and did put himself there. You have to passively pursue his story, but once you get him to more than "No.", you'll get a pretty good understanding of what makes him tick. Also, for some insight into Sten, you have to travel with him, and pay attention to Party Banter. Sometimes he will say something random, and you can pursue that in camp.

Alistair: Lawful Whiney, with egotistical tendencies. My patented trademarked invention for DA: O? A self replenishing box of Kleenex. He will lie to your face, and then blame you for it. Well written character, but as a person, I can't stand him, and he is my camp cook simply because I can't get rid of him before the Landsmeet.

Leliana: Chaotic Good. Yes, she killed people for "fun and profit", but she did find a measure of redemption in the Cloister. She wants to get away from that aspect of her life, but she never pretends it didn't happen. She will volunteer information about her past once your approval rating is high enough, unlike another popular NPC, that won't come clean no matter what, until he knows that he's going to be outted anyway. Yes, I'm talking about Alistair.

Wynne: Probably Lawful Good, with preachy tendencies. She was also probably fun at parties, back in the day, based on her and Ohgren's appreciaton for booze.

Ohgren: Chaotic Good. He means well, and will be a solid companion on the road.

Shale: Ultimately, Chaotic Good, with pigeon bashing tendencies. She calls it like she sees it.

Dog: Probably the funniest party member of the group, and he doesn't have any spoken dialog. However, he does have a warped sense of humor, and despite the hate for Morrigan that I've read in other places, Dog loves her. His alignment? Lawful Loyal? He doesn't care what you do, and will back you up 100%.

Zevran: I'd run with Chaotic Neutral, with Lawful tendencies. If you're half nice to him in camp, even if you never take him any where, his crisis moment is a non-issue. He takes an oath, and sticks to it.

I find it difficult to put alignment restrictions on these characters, because, quite frankly, depending on dialog options taken, you can get very different reactions to the same situations from the same NPC. A lot of it is based on how well they like you. Morrigan wins the title of "Queen of all that is evil in Ferelden" on the Bio boards, but really, despite her outlook on some situations, she's not kick a puppy for something to do evil. I could go a lot deeper on my evaluations, but I haven't had enough coffee yet.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote