View Single Post
Old 08-26-2001, 04:31 PM   #28
Legolas the Elven Archer

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottG:
Ah Mr. pointy ear

another excellent class to take from BG1 through to TOB
especially w/ extra abilty stat increases for dex.

(w/ TOB in mind - in regards to high level special abilities)

would be a fighter theif multiclass

I tested this out w/ Shadow Keeper to see what would happen, giving the char. 8 mil exp. points
This netted about 22 high level special abilities (more than you would get in just one class) and if you like the abilities in one class over another you could just keep selecting that ability.

The problems w/ the high level special abilities are that you can only have one working at a time (ie. you can't combine them) which leads reminds me I need to post another note here

For pure classes early on (dungeon level):
The Archer class early on in SOA is prob. the second best class offensivly, intrestingly enough the Totemic Druid I would place 1st (the reason is that your summoned spirit animal just BLOWS through any opponent in the dungeon - you don't even have to lift a finger.)

The Major prob. w/ the Archer is that several MAJOR opponents appear to be immune to missle wepons (making them MUCH less usefull in the big fights)

I played through the game with an elven figher/thief combo (not giving him/her a dex of 19 is a waste of race, and not letting someone with a dex of 19 have thieving skills is usually a waste as well) and it did work quite well, even without ToB (I still can't find it in the shops here, though it almost has to be there). But, like you said, the Archer is better.

The first time through BG2 I played with an elven archer named Legolas, an ex ranger from BG1. With a dexterity of 20 thanks to the tomes (though it's no different from dex 19) I had so many bonusses to using missile weapons (grand mastery, dex bonus, being-an-archer bonus and a magical bow) that I could easily defeat most enemies without the help of my fellow party members, which I did.
The only problems are the enemies which are immune to weapons of 2+ or less. But, then I would have five fully healed companions, complete with an entire arsenal of spells and plenty of magic weapons (which Legolas provided for them) that I didn't have much of a problem. In fact, I defeated Kangaxx in two tries without thinking it was a difficult fight (first time Minsc was imprisonned and I had no freedom scroll nearby, so I decided to try again).

In any case, I think the archer is one of the better un-dual or -multiclassed kits in the game, and a lot of fun as well.

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings