View Single Post
Old 06-19-2002, 06:51 PM   #1
Thruar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Got my hands on 2 Copies of Neverwinter Nights last night at the store I used to work at Software etc. now called Gamestop. I've not seen most of the employees in months but was happy to be in their company. First thing I noticed was new layout of the store which have more room and shelf space than ever before. I think it's because of the PC old game box to the new smaller box transition. I would say about 70% of the PC games are shipped in a small box. I am glad that the manufacturers and the game companies decided to ship them in smaller boxes saving on cost and efficiency. It seem to do well for the PC gaming market because the box size are identical to that of a Playstation2 box. A customer would sometimes wander into the PC section unknowlingly browsing at some of the cool games and say wow this game is for the PC.

When I got home I was extremely excited about NWN. It's a game that has been in the making for 3 years and from Bioware Corp which created some of the all time best AD&D rule set games such as Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2, Fallout 1 & 2. In my mind they helped shaped the Gaming industry even further. As I opened the box I noticed 3 cds, a cloth map and a huge spiral binded manual. Browsing through the manual which has very detailed information everything from creating a character to the spell lists.

Finally got the game installed. Noticed how nice and detailed the graphics work were. I know a lot has been put into this game. After playing for 5 hours I would have to say I'm very impressed at the whole story that was presented. The in game tutorial was very helpful. I noticed the game combined a combination of a few games which I've played before, Dungeon Seige/Darkstone for it's camera control. Good storyline of that dialogue of Planescape: Torment/Baldur's Gate. And the point and click system of Diablo/Diablo2, but not to mention you got the pause option with the spacebar just like the other Bioware games Baldur's gate/Icewind Dale etc. I went through playing the game reading everything from the descriptions of the NPCs to the items I've found. I'm not familiar with the AD&D 3rd edtition rule set but as far as I know what was added were feats or skill set geared towards your specific class. Other than that everything feels very much Forgotten Realms with famous characters that are talked about in the game such as Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunson and Dritzz and Wulfgar.

Although I found the price to be out of the ordinary at 54.99 +8.25% Sales Tax in New York. I still think it's worth every penny. Tell us your first impressions!
Thruar is offline   Reply With Quote