View Single Post
Old 01-27-2003, 03:31 PM   #17
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
WillowIX, I think the notion of when life begins is not foreign to this discussion, nor should it be ignored.

Legally, you cannot have an abortion after the 2nd trimester. Now, often people think that means Roe v. Wade stands for the proposition that a life does not begin until then, or that everything is all wrapped up in the "viability" of the fetus. Generally this is wrong. Roe v. Wade stands for the proposition that the 2nd/3rd trimester cutoff was what 9 Justices could agree on in the 70s.
But what is life? Thatīs the issue. A fetus gets its nutrition from itīs mother. Can it be regarded as a live organism without its own metabolism? It might be difficult to consider a one cell fetus alive, but how many cell divisions does it take? IMO itīs impossible to set a line for this since fetal development differs in every pregancy. During my pregnancies I always thought about "my child" during all nine months. Of course I believe there needs to be a "dead line" but I donīt think a court can set it.

TL, the reason I wrote that this discussion perhaps should be excluded was that since you started this in a numbered questionnaire, feelings might stay cooler when keeping it as a such.

Cerek, I may not agree with it, but I really like your post. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-27-2003, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]