View Single Post
Old 09-23-2001, 04:35 PM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

A response to my email from George Halicki:

Hugh,

Although I do not know you, I wish to add a perspective to your comment which I respect - as I do anyone's, as we all have the right to our views.

I believe the intent of Serj's message is to put into perspective, why people did this horrific act to try and make the American people understand, this is a reaction to many things the American government has been involved in over the years. Many of the things the American govt did covertly, were 'greed' based while they ignored the other human issues which could have improved the quality of life for so many. I believe Serj is trying to balance the current perspective of 'revenge' currently perpetrated by the govt and supported by the media. I think it needs something like this to make people sit up and think for themselves. Make them think about - why does America veto in the UN security council, peace keeping forces into Israel - Palestine, why did they not want to really get involved in Timor where mass killings were a certainty YET, they wish to prevent China getting into the World Trade Organisation because of human rights abuses - ah, forgot to mention, it would harm the American businesses and economy too.

The piece was written the day after the WTC disaster and too early to acknowledge the bravery of the firemen and the heart pouring support Americans have found between each other - which is very positive. This common ground also is an avenue for revenge to be carried and if we stop and think, why did this happen in the first place and how would God want us to react - before America starts with strong arm tactics, then mankind might evolve towards peace and harmony which is the way God wants us to live.

Now is the time more than ever, we must move forward carefully. The result may still be the same whereby America goes after who is responsible, but as long as they understand why it happened and take appropriate steps to ensure they do not give such terrorists any reason to attack then again. That would be the more human and christian thing to do.

God bless, George.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!