View Single Post
Old 10-01-2003, 08:04 PM   #73
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by HolyWarrior:
Worst game I ever played--Betrayal at Antara.
Geography designed by an 8-year-old. Utterly insipid characters. Incomprehensible magic system. Hellastupid marble lock puzzles. And the WORST was I had to reset my screen to 256 colors just to play it! The programmers should be SHOT! I can't understand anyone who says Krondor was a great game, since it used the same engine.
It is an old game, but let's think on what makes it so horrible:
  • the bead puzzles you mentioned took way to long to complete
  • the same can be said for the riddle chests, you had to know virtually everything about Antara to get the right answer
  • spells progressed way to slowly, and there were hardly any really effective ones
  • the transition from day to night was too short, you'd have to have 25 rations just to travel 10 minutes down the road
  • repairing armor and sharpening swords is a neat idea, but not if there's an insufficient supply of whetstones and hammers
  • encounters occured way to often, I had to resort to the health cheat to have my characters withstand each battle
  • the whole story entirely, and all the NPC's for that matter
  • quests were cut off at the end of every chapter, so you could never go back and solve a quest from ch. 2 when you're in ch. 5
etc., etc.