View Single Post
Old 10-18-2002, 07:36 PM   #61
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Krustin:
quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Which is a reason that the heavier .308 round is considered much superior to the .223 in 800 meter shooting (which by the way, only a couple of dozen people in the world are really any good at. (800 meter = roughly 2400 feet = roughly half a mile) Not many people can hit a target at half a mile in or out of the military.
I would disagree with that statement. 800m is a long, long, shot but many hunters spend lots of time and effort trying for the perfect shot, and many are capable of truly impressive feats of accuracy.

Not to brag, but me and a lot of my hunter friends hunt wolf, on the run, with .243 and .270 (admittedly hotter than .223) at ranges out to 800 meters.

Quote:

If as you say the .223 is 5.74mm then I was correct in assuming the moron showing the Ak-47 or 74 was showing a weapon that is NOT chambered for .223 since the AK-74 is 5.45mm
The 5.45mm is definitely a distinct caliber from the .223; the AK-47 on the other hand fires a 7.62mm round with the exact same caliber as the NATO .308; however the cartridge is much shorter.
[/QUOTE]I know a lot of hunters as well, and I personally have never met anyone anywhere in 30 some odd years of hunting and shooting that can consistantly hit anything at 800 meters. The Olympic level shooters don'tmake routine shots at that range. I didn't say no one can make an occasional shot, but 800 meters is a damn long shot for anyone. The Elk hunters that went into the Rockies with My dad and I (Near Jackson Hole) bragged a lot about half mile and three quarter mile shots..but when we started using range finders to calculate the distance we found them short by a quite a bit.

If you are one of the people who is capable of making shots at half a mile, my hat is off to you.

I consistantly qualified Expert pistol and rifle in the Navy for 10 years and I have never made a half mile kill of anything. My all time longest measured kill of a white tail in PA. was 512 yards measured. I used my dads Winchester Model 99 .284 and a 7x redfield scope. I considered it an extremely lucky shot and it was a gut shot at that (which in my family is considered a disgrace).